Links to helpful resources.
NasDriver

Recommended readings for CCNP

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi folks,
Do you recommend any good book to start studying for the CCNP ?

Or anything else other than books!

Thank you

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: Recommended readings for CCNP

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:25 pm

ROUTE OCG
SWITCH OCG
TSHOOT OCG
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 pm

This site. :)

Welcome BTW.

:cheers:

SimonV
Certs:
N+, MCP, MCITP, CCNP, CCNA:Wireless

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 pm

ristau5741 wrote:ROUTE OCG
SWITCH OCG
TSHOOT OCG

+ the Foundation Learning Guides :)

drodriguez
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP, CCNP SP, LPI 1, LPI 2

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:53 am

Hi

I recommend NON-CiscoPress books:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/ne ... 0201634724 - OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol
http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/ne ... 0201604736 - Cisco IP Routing: Packet Forwarding and Intra-domain Routing Protocols
http://www.amazon.com/IPv6-Second-Editi ... 1558608109 - IPv6, Second Edition: Theory, Protocol, and Practice, 2nd Edition
http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/ne ... 0321618146 - EIGRP for IP: Basic Operation and Configuration

Better to learn technologies/protocols :)

Regards
---
Daniel
https://networkfaculty.com/

Rabid_Dove
Certs:
CCNA, MCSE, CCNP - Switch (so far), TCTE, MOS

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 pm

I can only speak to CCNP - SWITCH since that is the only test I have passed (currently on to ROUTE), but I found the Cisco Press book a bit too tedious a read. I would glaze over and re-read a lot of sentences.

CCNP SWITCH SIMPLIFIED: by Paul Browning and Farai Tafa was just conversational and technical enough to almost entirely keep my attention without too much effort. ;) They also mix in a paragraph or two about real world application of the topic from time to time which I found to be a nice bonus. If you have a Kindle or Kindle application on a device, another bonus is the book is $9.99 in digital format.

I liked it enough that I purchased ROUTE and TSHOOT. I like to first view the CBTNuggets and then shore up the knowledge with the books.

I like Daniels suggestion as well....though I wanted to read Cisco-centric for while I am testing in Cisco and then I am one that is actually motivated enough to then learn more in-depth the protocols individually and in-depth *without* the Cisco paradigm.

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

This site, gns3vault and the ocg cisco press books.
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

CDelapena2
Certs:
CCNA

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm working on ROUTE currently using the OCG which I find to be the most comfortable option. I also have the FLG but that book is considerably larger and I only use it for reference. CBT nuggets is way too simplified and lacking in detail for me to take seriously and for some reason I doze off and get distracted more watching those videos than reading the OCG (weird huh?). As many have stated before me, use these forums. I've asked many questions on here since joining and I've learned a lot because of it.
Yo, —embriagado de mis penas,— me devoro,
Y mis miserias lloro,
Y buitre de mí mismo me levanto,
Y me hiero y me curo con mi canto
Buitre a la vez que altivo Prometeo.—

Rabid_Dove
Certs:

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 am

Has anyone any experience with the books I am reading? The CCNP xxxx SIMPLIFIED series? I see OCG mentioned a few times and I would like to know how they compare.

I will take a look myself as well.

that1guy15
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP, CCIP

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am

ristau5741 wrote:ROUTE OCG
SWITCH OCG
TSHOOT OCG

+1

The FLG's go into greater depth but I used the OCG and then Ciscos documentation for anything I needed to go deeper on. I used TrainSignal and CBTNuggets for CBT but I did my CCNP on the old track so I cant speak on how they compare now.
http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 am

There is it-university-online with a fairly nice price with a groupon
http://www.groupon.com/deals/it-univers ... IR0BfQEQeQ
Please note that I have never used them and can't say anything about their quality!
cbt nuggets is failry good, but doesn't go deep enouph to pass these the tests.

And last but far far from least is INE.com, I never used them for the CCNP but I did use them for my CCIP... I like them.
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

Rabid_Dove
Certs:

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am

I see the CBT Nuggets more as a light introduction to the topic, it's jargon and way of thinking. If I can mostly pick up what he said...great, but otherwise I will fight the urge to try to hard and just let it sink in and prompt questions to myself. I find that takes the edge off and then the books are less dry and it makes filling in the gaps and answering the questions that the videos prompted more entertaining to me as well.

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am

Rabid_Dove wrote:I see the CBT Nuggets more as a light introduction to the topic, it's jargon and way of thinking. If I can mostly pick up what he said...great, but otherwise I will fight the urge to try to hard and just let it sink in and prompt questions to myself. I find that takes the edge off and then the books are less dry and it makes filling in the gaps and answering the questions that the videos prompted more entertaining to me as well.

This exactly!!!
A good over-view then the books go deeper
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

NasDriver

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:15 am

thank you guys!
Another question for those who have the CCNP: how long did you took to get it? Did you study a lot (theoric) before doing the exams (or better to focus on practical simulations)?

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 am

I did it when it was the four test version. It took me a little over a year. I think it was close to 3.5-4 months per test.

You need to know the theory pretty well and also know how to implement any of the subject matter on the exam, so it is better to focus equally on theory and practice.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

WhiteFeather
Certs:
CCNP | CCDP

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:28 pm

I found CBTNuggets with Jeremy Cioara's videos to be helpful. Try to reproduce the labs that he shows you from scratch and you'll run into a lot of troubleshooting scenarios that aren't obvious from the lessons, but will help ingrain the theories. I think I spent about a year preparing for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams. Once you get the concepts down then preparing for the TSHOOT is just a matter of systematic troubleshooting.

accordg9
Certs:
CCNA

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 pm

@networking-forum... Very useful for the students who plan to takes Cisco exam...

I am sure you will quickly find out that hands-on real world experience is the best way to prepare CCNP in your head to help you pass your CCNP exam!
Comparison of Routing Protocols (EIGRP, OSPF) http://cisconetworkingcenter.blogspot.c ... eigrp.html
First Hop Redundancy Protocol (HSRP, VRRP and GLBP) http://cisconetworkingcenter.blogspot.c ... tocol.html

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Rabid_Dove wrote:I can only speak to CCNP - SWITCH since that is the only test I have passed (currently on to ROUTE), but I found the Cisco Press book a bit too tedious a read. I would glaze over and re-read a lot of sentences.

CCNP SWITCH SIMPLIFIED: by Paul Browning and Farai Tafa was just conversational and technical enough to almost entirely keep my attention without too much effort. ;) They also mix in a paragraph or two about real world application of the topic from time to time which I found to be a nice bonus. If you have a Kindle or Kindle application on a device, another bonus is the book is $9.99 in digital format.

I liked it enough that I purchased ROUTE and TSHOOT. I like to first view the CBTNuggets and then shore up the knowledge with the books.

I like Daniels suggestion as well....though I wanted to read Cisco-centric for while I am testing in Cisco and then I am one that is actually motivated enough to then learn more in-depth the protocols individually and in-depth *without* the Cisco paradigm.

Just wanted to toss my 2cents in on this since I was reading through the SWITCH OCG. This post prompted me to check out the CCNP SWITCH SIMPLIFIED: by Paul Browning and Farai Tafa and I have to agree with him, the information is present in such a way that it was much easier for me to absorb and stay focused on the material. Plus the 400 some odd pages of labs at the end of the book are a hug bonus and can't be beat if you purchase the digital copy
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

Adanghs
Certs:
IBM

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 am

NasDriver wrote:Hi folks,
Do you recommend any good book to start studying for the CCNP ?

Or anything else other than books!

Thank you

Read details from this site: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certi ... index.html

'

Return to Useful Links/Tutorials